Monday, May 26, 2008

patrick’s [manifesto]

telling design stories
when a person dies, a valuable library burns to the ground. – ancient African proverb

I am a civic-minded, hard working storyteller
who seeks connections beyond the expected. I believe in serendipity, in fair exchange, and in sharing. I value excellence in communication, engagement in the local, links to the global, and the passion of others.

I build social capital to forge bonds with unlikely partners
to bring design to the world with greater results than I ever could imagine doing by myself. I act with integrity and sincerity, respecting each human being and the experiences and stories they bring.

Through my work, I hope to leave the world a better place.

I have come to appreciate the benefits of a well-crafted charrette and the time-honored practice of designing and building. My life became easier after I selected Arial as a font of choice. I like square brackets.

I thrive in an environment that is intellectually and physically stimulating.
I am awed by simple beauty and eloquent words. I like seeing the inter-connected world in my work and that of others. I realize that good food, great music, and kind deeds are definitely part of the equation.

My tools for my design journey include…
…the wonders of the stars,
…the detailed layering of information on a map,
…a passion for learning and life,
…a compass that sometimes reads my heart
and other times reads my head,
…a good dictionary [with etymology],
…and a journal.

I look forward to growing as journeys, storytelling, and conversations continue.

cheers,
--patrick

No comments: